Oatmeal Craisin Cookies

For the most part, I am a chocolate girl.  Most people would assume that I am a chocolate girl, through and through.  And there is good reason for this assumption.

But, occasionally, I get a craving for something a little different: oatmeal cookies with craisins and white chips.

I have no idea where I first had this combo, but I loved it.

And, stranger still, I have always despised oatmeal raisin cookies.  I carefully case every cookie table to be sure that I am not deceived by some nefarious baker who has put raisins in where she ought to have put chocolate.  Oatmeal chocolate chip: yummy.  Oatmeal raisin: gag.

So why am I okay with craisins in my cookies?  I have no idea.  

But I am.  So there.  Deal.


I do like to chop my craisins small.  It adds an extra, sticky step, but it's worth it.


I have never found an ideal oatmeal cookie recipe, so I decided to go through my cookbooks and find a new one to try.  This time I landed on the cookbook from the 25th anniversary of my elementary through high school alma mater, Beaver County Christian School.   It's a recipe submitted by a dear lady I've known for almost forever.  If it's good enough for her kitchen, it's good enough for mine!

Except that I changed some things to make it fit my palate.  I never can leave well enough alone.


I'll give the recipe below, just in case anyone wants to try it out.  I kept the same basic recipe, but attempted to make it a wee bit healthier and tweaked the fancy bits.


They came out quite yummy, if I do say so myself!  

And, no, my kids don't really like them, and while I do love to share treats with my kids (except good chocolate and maple syrup) I'm okay with having more of these for John and me.

Original recipe submitted by Jacque Stahl
Oatmeal, Molasses Raisin Cookies
My changes are in fuschia.

1 1/2 c. margarine  1 c. butter, 1/2 c. applesauce
1 1/2 c. white sugar  1 c. white sugar, 1/2 cup Splenda
3 eggs
4 Tbsp. molasses
1 pkg. instant vanilla pudding
2 c. flour
1 1/2 tsp. baking soda
4 c. oatmeal
2 c. raisins  1 c. craisins, 1 c. white chips
1 c. crushed walnuts  Ew!  No way.
Cream together margarine, sugar, eggs and molasses.  Add pudding, flour, soda and oatmeal; mix well.  Add raisins and nuts.
Drop by spoonfuls onto cookie sheet.  Bake at 350* for 10 to 12 minutes.  This should make a soft and chewy cookie.

Comments

Post a Comment

Popular Posts